Granite countertops prices will run from $35 to $65 per square foot installed on average depending on the granite color you choose.
But costs could run $80 to $125+ for exotic colors, extra-large slabs, complex fabrication, or unusual installation requirements.
Usually, the major factor influencing the total cost of granite countertop installation is the cost of the granite slabs. Standard fabrication and installation costs for a given kitchen countertop are somewhat constant and won't change much regardless of the specific granite color chosen.
However, the cost of the particular granite you choose can vary a lot (from $10 sq. ft. up to $200 sq. ft. at the extreme ends) and will have the most dramatic impact on the total cost per square foot.
Factors Influencing Total Cost of Granite Countertops
- Cost of granite color chosen
- Thickness of slab (2cm vs. 3cm)
- Number of sink & cooktop cutouts (1 of each usually included)
- Number of faucet and soap dispenser holes
- Complex shapes (round, triangle) or corners
- Type of edge profile (basic, fancy, laminated)
- Backsplash design (simple 5" vs. slab or tile up to the cabinets)
- Tear out of old countertops
- Difficulty of transportation & delivery (long distance, upstairs)
For example, let's say your installation is "standard" and fabrication / installation will cost $2000. You could choose slabs that cost say $1000 or ones costing $5000 or more. So, total cost could range from $3000 to $7000+ purely due to the price of granite chosen.